Показать сообщение отдельно
Старый 19-09-2016, 18:50   #5
FPSchazly
Aircraftsman

Thank you all for the replies. I had hypothesized that this capability is based on the target platform's depth. I have a few follow-up questions:

1) To reiterate USA~Driver, do A.I. aircraft have this capability and will always get a mast detection contact when in range?

2) With the LADAR Mast Detection auto-crew turned off, can the player still detect a submarine's masts manually?

3) Is this set up in such a way that for the Los Angeles, if the player increases depth by 1 foot from periscope depth (or in an Akula, the player increases depth by 1 m from periscope depth), will mast detection no longer work?

These next two points are more philosophical in nature.

4) In a very shallow littoral situation where a submarine has to navigate at periscope depth or shallower, but isn't running with masts raised in order to avoid counter-detection, adversarial platforms will always mast detect them based on what we have discussed here. This seems like this gives ASW platforms an even greater advantage in these types of missions.

5) There is also the situation of deploying special operations forces. The submarine (generally) has to be at periscope depth or shallower in order to accomplish this, but most likely would not have masts raised in order to avoid having its masts counter-detected. With quick launch disabled, this is five minutes of vulnerability. Once the special forces are away, then yes, the ability to be counter-detected should be there. But before that raft appears, there should be no mast detection risk given the submarine does not have masts raised.

Once again, with these last two points, I am not saying one option is correct or incorrect, but just addressing some points of interest than my friends and I have discussed. In a multiplayer situation with surface/airborne ASW assets against submerged threats, the ASW assets already have the advantage because they know that a submerged threat is out there. It seems having a submarine at periscope depth always getting mast detected is just increasing the ASW assets' advantage in a multiplayer match. I am very much interested in hearing your thoughts/opinions on this matter.
FPSchazly вне форума   Ответить с цитированием