Тема: F4f-4
Показать сообщение отдельно
Старый 13-11-2004, 10:30   #166
RB_
Corporal

Вот еще интересный эпизод :

"Abruptly an A6M latched onto his tail and started shooting. A couple of turns convinced Carl that he couldn't outmaneuver a Zero, as he heard bullets striking metal. "All we knew about Zero was that is was supposed to be very maneuverable," he recalled. " I don't think we knew its relative speed, though it was just as fast as a Wildcat, if not faster, and it climbed better. It didn't do so well in dive. If you had altitude you could get away from Zero normally by by just heading that old Wildcat straight down." That's just what he did. Carl dived into a convenient cloud, chopped the throttle, and crossed his controls, forcing the F4F into skid. The Zero overshot, and when Carl emerged the tables were turned. But in nosing down to line up his sights, all four guns jammed under negatove Gs as he fired, and the bandit escaped with light damage" page 52

Jims Gray explained " The F4F-4 was solid as a brick outhouse, almost a flying tank. It could take a lot of punishment, but I would have preferred the extra performance to the two additional guns. The F4F-3 was easier to maneuver, but the tactics developed by Jimmy Thach more then made up for the superior maneuverability of the Japanese fighters. The Japanese were very vulnerable; we stayed in business after being hit repeatedly. I owe my very life to Grumman" page 64
RB_ вне форума   Ответить с цитированием